Kieran Trippier may miss England’s Euro 2020, World Cup for breaching FA betting rules

England and Atletico Madrid right-back Kieran Trippier is currently facing a 10-week ban for breaching betting rules. The Football Association (FA) announced the punishment last week, having found Trippier guilty of betting violations relating to his departure from Tottenham for Atlético in the summer of 2019. However, this ban was put on hold earlier this week, with Atletico’s appeal is being discussed.

Trippier, who had played every minute in all of Atletico’s La Liga and Champions League games this season before the ban, was also fined £70,000 on top of an immediate worldwide football ban from December 23 for four breaches of a rule which prevents players from providing information to others on their position which is not available in public at the time.

Trippier, however, claimed he did not place any bets or profit from bets placed by others. “Following the appeal and, specifically, the request for provisional measures lodged by the club Atletico Madrid, the FIFA Appeal Committee has approved to stay the extension of the suspension against Kieran Trippier until the procedure is over before the FIFA Appeal Committee,” FIFA said in a statement.

The ban is temporarily on hold as FIFA await further information, with Trippier allowed to play for future Atleticomatches. However, his international duty with England is in jeopardy if he will be proven guilty. He is set to miss England’s World Cup qualifiers against San Marino, Albania and Poland in March and the final stage of the rescheduled Euro 2020 in July.

In 2019, Gareth Southgate’s Three Lions celebrated their 1,000th game in style as they booked their place in Euro 2020, thrashing Montenegro 7-0 to top Group A. Harry Kane moved to sixth in England’s list of leading scorers as a first-half hat-trick took his tally to 31, overhauling Frank Lampard, Alan Shearer, Nat Lofthouse and Tom Finney. Trppier is part of Southgate’s starting XI for the tournament.

Meanwhile, Atletico Madrid boss Diego Simeone described the punishment as “unfair”, had requested that the case be revised.Simeone’s side are second in La Liga but have three games in hand over leaders Real Madrid, who are one point ahead of the reigning champions. “We think it’s unfair and we hope it can be revised because of the damage done to Atletico,” he said.

“Atletico obviously have absolutely nothing to do with this situation so we hope it can be re-assessed in some way, because while the FA benefits from this, Atletico is harmed by it and has nothing to do with it.” He asked both the Spanish football federation and FIFA to intervene. The club’s CEO, Miguel Angel Gil Marin backs head coach, saying that the decision is “totally unjust”.

“The fact that the FA has punished the player by preventing him from playing against Chelsea, and that the ban just happens to finish just as the England national team is scheduled to play a competitive game, makes you think all sorts of things about the integrity of the competition and the ethics of a football association with a long history,” Marin said.